Inspired by the Gospel values and following the teachings of St. Paul, our patron saint, Paulinian hospitals exist to further the kingdom of God on earth by continuing the healing mission of Jesus Christ. By providing a loving and dedicated service to the sick, we bear witness to the love and goodness of God. Through their kindness and compassion in caring for patients, our staff make present and concrete the love of God for all men.
All are treated equally with the Paulinian spirit of charity to all men, regardless of colour, race or creed, recognizing the person of our Lord Jesus Christ in the sick, the old and infirm. Faithful to the origin of the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres, the poor and the underprivileged will always receive our special attention and consideration. We strive at all times to maintain a high standard of service – competent and efficient – in the prevention, promotion and restoration of health.
In 1696, Father Louis Chauvet gathered four girls in a small village near Chartres in France. Very soon, they began to teach young children, take care of the sick and visit the needy.
In 1848, the four Sisters accepted the invitation from Bishop Forcade – the Prefect Apostolic of Hong Kong. They arrived in Hong Kong in September 1848 and established the "Asile de la Sainte Enfance" in Wan Chai, taking care of the abandoned baby girls.
From an orphanage, it expanded to a school and home for aged women.
In 1898, the Sisters opened a hospital in “Asile de la Sainte Enfance” to provide medical service for the needy.
As the demand continuously grew, the Sisters built the “Le Calvaire” at Happy Valley in 1908 to extend their service.
In 1916, the Sisters gradually moved their hospital from Wan Chai to Causeway Bay.
The hospital was formally renamed as St. Paul’s Hospital in 1918 which marked the beginning of a new era in providing healthcare service.
A maternity wing, called the Notre Dame Pavilion, was added to the hospital building in 1948.
To meet with the service demand, the Notre Dame Pavilion was pulled down and a new hospital wing was built in 1976. It was a 7-storey building with number of hospital beds increased to 403.
The C. T. Scanning Department was established in 1977. It was equipped with the the first Computed Axial Tomography (CAT or CT) machine in Hong Kong.
In 1981, the Special Care Unit (SCU) was upgraded with sophisticated monitoring systems and equipment to look after critically ill patients, including patients with heart problems.
The Lithotripter Centre was established in 1985. It was the first non-traumatic therapeutic centre for renal stones in Hong Kong. With the Dornier Stone Lithotripter, patients did not require to undergo the pain of surgery in removing renal stone.
In 1989, St. Paul’s Hospital installed the first superconductive type Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine in Hong Kong.
The K. K. Leung Cardiac Catheterization Centre was set up in May 1995.
Endoscopy Unit was set up in May 1998.
St. Paul’s Hospital Centenary Celebration Opening Ceremony in December 1998.
Eye/ LASIK Centre was opened in June 2002.
The Nephrocare Dialysis Centre was established in 2002.
Ground Breaking Ceremony of Block A was held in July 2006.
Foundation Laying Ceremony of Block A was held in June 2008.
Renovation and opening of Operation Theatre and ICU in September 2008.
Renovation and opening of Urology Centre in September 2008.
Block A in operation in end December 2009.
Cardiac Centre was renovated and relocated in March 2010.
Opening Ceremony of Block A and Foundation Laying Ceremony of Block B was held in December 2010.
The Orthopaedic Centre and Rehabilitation Centre was established in 2010.
Health Centre was renovated and relocated in November 2011.
Laying of foundation stone at LG3, Block B.
Construction of Block B almost complete and topping out ceremony was held in March 2014.
Blessing ceremony for Block B was held in March 2017.
Block B in operation in April 2017.
St. Paul’s Hospital 120th Anniversary Celebration cum Grand Opening of Main Block and St. Paul’s Hospital 120th Anniversary Dinner were held in April 2018.
The following buses stop at the bus-stop opposite to Block A of our hospital:
5B, 11, 23B, 26, 63, 72, 72A, 96, 592, 962, 962B, 962X, 962P, 962S, 969, 969P, N182, N962, N969, N11, 108
There are other buses stopping at Hong Kong Central Library, Moreton Terrace and Victoria Park, which take 5-10 minutes to walk to our hospital.
Customers could enquire with the bus companies for the relevant information.
The following minibuses stop at the minibus-stop opposite to Block A of our hospital:
Exit F of Causeway Bay Station, then walk along Jardine's Bazaar for about 10 minutes.
Taxi can stop at the hospital's main entrance.
Our hospital provides parking spaces for charges (HK$40 for the first hour and HK$60 for subsequent hours).